Gare du Nord
The Gare du Nord, the Bahnhof für Neue Musik, is the first experimental music centre in Switzerland. Located in the Badischer Bahnhof in Basel, it provides a home and a showcase for the very lively and productive contemporary music scene in Switzerland and the trinational region of Basel, Freiburg im Breisgau and Strasbourg.
In around 100 events each season, young and experienced professional musicians, composers and singers encounter a multifaceted audience whose members listen attentively to a very diverse range of sonic journeys consisting of composed and improvised music, sound installations and combined musical/theatrical performances. The Gare du Nord offers a wide spectrum of music extending from contemporary chamber music to electronic music by way of sophisticated jazz.
That the MusikBahnhof’s fans come from many different sectors is demonstrated by the composition of the association Les Copains du Nord, which was founded in October 2004 to support it. The association’s board includes representatives of sport, culture, politics, business and medicine, who come together to give the Gare du Nord their active support and to canvas for more members.
The second class buffet, the Bar du Nord, is a listed building. With its nostalgic charm, it provides an inviting venue before and after events to linger, relax, discuss and enjoy oneself. Its tango evenings lure lovers of old dance halls onto the oak parquet floor and football fans regularly watch hotly contested football matches on the large screen.
Team Gare du Nord
Artistic Director: Désirée Meiser
Managing Director: Ursula Freiburghaus
Artistic Production Management, Cultural education: Johanna Schweizer
Technical Department: Mario Henkel, Jean-Marc Desbonnets
Press and Public Relations: Phöbe Heydt
Cultural Education, Administration: Francesca Dunkel
Private Room Leasing: Maya Zimmermann
Internship: Heidi Dünow
Graphic Design: Alexa Früh
Concert and project applications
Proposals for artistic works can be submitted to the artistic director. Nevertheless, we ask for understanding that every inquiry cannot be answered and that unsolicitedly sent material cannot be sent back.
Bar du Nord
Management: Bruno Zihlmann
T +41 61 683 71 70
The Programme Council of the Gare du Nord Association has artistic consultative functions and is composed of leading representatives of the contemporary music scene:
- Jürg Henneberger, Conductor, Pianist and Lecturer at the Hochschule für Musik of the Music Academy of the City of Basel
- Michael Kunkel, Lecturer in the research area of the Hochschule für Musik of the Music Academy of the City of Basel
- Marcus Weiss, Saxophonist and Musician, Professor at the Hochschule für Musik of the Music Academy of the City of Basel, head of the master’s programme in contemporary music
- Desirée Meiser, Artistic Director of the Gare du Nord
- Wolfgang Heiniger, Professor for intermedia composition at the Hochschule für Musik Hanns Eisler Berlin
- Ute Haferburg, Director Theater Chur, former Co-Director and Manager of the Gare du Nord